LifeStraw launched its ‘Follow the Liters’ program in Kenya this October. As part of this program, high-volume LifeStraw Community water purifiers have been distributed to provide more than 23 million liters of safe water a year to over 125,000 school children throughout Kenya’s western province.
The distribution is made possible through the LifeStraw Follow the Liters Program. When a consumer purchases any LifeStraw® product, a portion of the funds are used to provide one school child in a developing country with safe drinking water for an entire school year.
In October 16 teams of trained health educators distributed more than 1,600 LifeStraw Community water purifiers to over 300 schools throughout Kenya’s western province. School visits included student education about safe behaviors associated with water consumption, hygiene and sanitation and distribution of soap for hand washing.
Some facts about the water crisis
- 38% of the Kenyan population does not have access to an improved water source.
- Only 37% of Kenyan schools have access to safe, clean water within 200 meters of the schools grounds
- 1.8 billion people globally use a source of drinking water that is facially contaminated
- Diarrhea kills more children under 5 than AIDS, Malaria and Measles combined
- 443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related illness
- Diarrhea remains in the second leading cause of death among children under five globally
The LifeStraw water filter was first introduced in 2005 for public health use. The filter converts microbiologically contaminated water into safe drinking water. Since then, the LifeStraw brand has expanded to include additional water purifiers for use in the household, clinics and schools. In 2014 the latest product, LifeStraw Go – a water bottle with incorporated filter technology – won the ISPO AWARD in the outdoor category.
Current developments and activities oft he ,Follow the liter ‘ program can be followed on the website .
For more information about the smart LifeStraw products visit: